Thursday, May 22, 2008

I don't know what to think. Do I need smart drugs?

Much furore this morning about smart drugs. One day could we all be popping pills that will allow us to exploit our untapped mental potential and become better versions of ourselves? Or will the corporations and the state soon have the tools to medicate us into docile, unquestioning workers who never stop, get tired or even moan?

Drugs that directly affect the brain's performance - so called cognition enhancers - are already here and could become 'as common as coffee' in decade or two.

I've had depression for about thirty years and I have, at times, taken medication for it. I have a bad memory which drives me mad, get very frustrated when my brain tires and starts making mistakes and generally think I'm not intelligent enough to do the things I want to do. In other words, on the face of it I'm the ideal candidate for smart drugs so why am I so reluctant to take them?

I can't decide what I think - a very human reaction to a new dilemma. But if I took the tablets would I really suddenly know my own mind?

What do you think about cognitive enhancers? How could they change our society? Would you take them?

No comments: